How We Care for Your Veteran Loved One
Our team at Farenga Funeral Home agrees that there is no greater honor than caring for veterans and their families. We want to show our appreciation and help pay tribute to the men and women who are willing to sacrifice everything to protect our country.
Since 1876, our Farenga family has built a legacy of compassionate and quality service throughout Queens and Astoria – and this includes funerals highlighting military accomplishments. Farenga owner Gus Antonopoulos and our team will never forget the moving moments as soldiers present the folded American flag to a grieving family. Or when the first notes of Taps are played, and our hearts swell with pride and gratitude knowing how much others are willing to do on our behalf.
These heroes give their all to protect our American ideals of freedom, justice, and equality. When it comes to designing their final farewell, we consider it a privilege to work closely with their loved ones to create a memorable funeral and burial. We have countless ideas to make a service personal and fitting for a veteran, shining a spotlight on their life, passions, and accomplishments.
Imagine your veteran’s uniform displayed at the visitation, along with photos from their time in the service, and mementos such as awards or other honors. Photo and videos can also be made into a video tribute, a touching detail in any memorial.
Upon the request of a surviving family member, all honorably discharged veterans – regardless of rank or whether or not they were on active duty – qualify for military funeral honors. This includes the following:
- Custom military headstones
- Burial allowances
- Financial contributions to honorably discharged veterans
- Help arranging a burial in a national cemetery
- At no additional cost, a United States burial flag will be provided and draped on either a casket or urn. The flag is given as a keepsake to the next-of-kin following the funeral or memorial service. This flag can then be placed in a glass case to display at home with other memorabilia from that unforgettable person’s life.
- Customary playing of Taps by a bugler
- The family will receive a special certificate from the President of the United States, known as the Presidential Memorial Certificate. This document further expresses recognition of the veteran’s dedication to his or her country.
We hope it is evident that we take our responsibility to honor military men and women both in life and in death very seriously. When it’s time to pay tribute to the veteran in your life, or if you are a veteran and would like to put your funeral plans in place ahead of time, reach out to our caring team by phone, or stop by and meet with us at our funeral homes in Astoria. We are here ready to say thank you to the many brave men and women who have defended our freedom.